FEDITO BXL collects and supports institutes and services who, with a willingness to share their ideas and experiences, want to promote the psychological, medical and social approach, on a preventive as well as a healing level, of parts of the issues surrounding addiction.
- Addictions are not limited to mental problems of mental suffering. They can fundamentally disrupt life on an emotional, relational and social level. This all depends on the individual and their context.This means that the person who turns to the institutions, is viewed in all of its complexity. We take into account their medical and psychological situation, as well as social and environmental factors that contribute to addiction.This implies a global approach of those who are confronted with problems (the addict himself with whom a dialogue is opened by way of a meeting in which each partner is in the relationship and where the choices are made by the addict). This is part of the ethics of our interventions.
- FEDITO supports the efforts of the institutions and the services with this approach. Their effectiveness reflects exactly these values.
- The work of the teams is characterized by:
- Refusing the limit addiction solely to the symptomatic expressions.
- Considering the person in its entirity, on a physical, mental, familial, cultural and social level, with respect for his frame of life.
- This work looks at the person as a subject of his approach and promotes the expression of his needs, his demands, his autonomy.
- This work recognizes and is aimed at the means of society, it relies on other services, it divides the responsibility en the competencies between partners. It is part of a network and strives to bring professionals in contact with each other. It wants to recognize the importance of the social structure and it wants to prevent splintering by having multidisciplinary work that takes into account the unity of the subject.
- This work holds no grip over the life of the persons involved and guarantees a personal life.
- This work necessitates the training of actors (doctors, psychologists, social assistants, nursing staff, educators, …) in the form of supervision, working groups, conferences, …
- FEDITO supports:
- A multidisciplinary work where the professional specificity of each person is recognized and supported.
- A democratic way of sharing ideas, opinions and decisions.
- A constant urge to train and question.
- From its ethical framework, FEDITO respects:
- The plethora of theoratical and therapeutic approaches.
- The plethora of political, religious, philosophical, syndical and from university originated convictions.
The charter was adopted by general assembly of 3 March 1998